- This event has passed.
Our Soil Community Meeting
July 25, 2021 @ 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm EDT
Lead poisoning is a serious health threat in many cities, including Troy, but there is a lot we can do to prevent it. At this community meeting, you will learn about how soil can be a source of lead exposure – and you will have a chance to shape a study of soil contamination in North Central Troy! This meeting is open to anyone interested in environmental justice and a healthy city for the residents of Troy.
We will be hosting the Our Soil Community Event through NATURE Lab at the Sanctuary for Independent Media. At this time, the meeting will be online, via Zoom, however we will also be sharing it on YouTube afterward to make it easier to access for the greater community.
We strongly encourage you to invite family, friends and neighbors to attend – as this community focused meeting will be introducing neighborhood residents and the broader Troy community to the issue of heavy metals in urban soils, and ways to reduce exposure to lead and arsenic found in urban soils.
Participating fellows will have an opportunity to speak during the meeting to share with their community why they are participating in the Our Soil project, we will have interactive activities to not only spark conversations around the concerns of the community, but also to help inspire appreciation for healthy soils and hope about our future relationships with soil. You can learn more about Our Soil by visiting our project page HERE
- Introduction to the Sanctuary and NATURE Lab
- Introduction to Our Soil – purpose, goals, plans
- Introduction of Soil Justice Fellows and how their efforts will help the community
- Overview of North Central environmental history and why we find lead and arsenic here
- Group interactive activities and brainstorming sessions
- Culminating discussion about how improving the health of soils has direct health benefits for us, giving some practical ideas about what everyone can do to reduce exposures to contaminated soils and improve the quality of the soils around them.
- Sampling instructions for Soil Justice Fellows
TO JOIN/REGISTER FOR THE MEETING :
Topic: Our Soil Meeting
Time: Jul 25, 2021 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 820 9572 2569
One tap mobile
+19292056099,,82095722569# US (New York)
+13126266799,,82095722569# US (Chicago)
Dial by your location
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
Meeting ID: 820 9572 2569
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kdaPdauixa
We are committed to lowering the barriers to access for events at The Sanctuary for Independent Media. For people who are hard of hearing or deaf, blind or low-vision, or whose physical limitations can interfere with a satisfying experience, let us know two weeks in advance so we can make appropriate arrangements.