The Sanctuary is Hiring!
Target application deadline is August 1 with an August 15 start date.
Our mission is to use art, science and participatory action to promote social and environmental justice and freedom of creative expression. Most people know us as The Sanctuary for Independent Media; the official non-profit 501(c)3 is incorporated as Media Alliance. Since 2005 we have been building an arts and environmental education campus in North Central Troy, NY, one of the lowest-wealth census blocks in the region, located in an environmental justice zone at the northernmost point of the Hudson River Estuary. We operate indoor and outdoor presenting and production facilities (The Sanctuary for Independent Media and Freedom Square), create multimedia programming (Sanctuary TV and Sanctuary Radio online as well as broadcasting on WOOC 105.3 FM), community gardens (Collard City Growers), STEM and wellness learning centers (NATURE Lab and People’s Health Sanctuary), youth programs (Uptown Summer and Youth Sanctuary) and internships.
The Development Director, reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director, works in our North Troy headquarters spearheading development efforts as we continue to grow.
- Three to five years’ experience in fundraising and marketing with non-profit organizations
- Outstanding relationship building skills and high comfort level to work effectively with donors, and corporate and foundation executives
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment that includes staff, board members, volunteers, interns and others
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Fluency with word processing, social media, graphic design and donor database software
- Flexible schedule; ability to work weekdays and occasional evenings and weekends
- Bachelor’s degree required; a relevant advanced degree preferred
- Manage development and fundraising calendar, ensuring deadlines are met
- Develop grant proposals and grant reports, preparing all materials for submission
- Communicate regularly with program staff to acquire a deep understanding of our work and to gather data, stories, and program updates to prepare compelling narratives
- Collaborate with Executive Director and Program Directors to develop grant timelines, grant budgets, and financial reports
- Conduct research on prospective funding opportunities
Annual Fund, Donor Cultivation and Organizing
- Develop fundraising strategy and materials for our annual fund campaign, including digital fundraising content and semi-annual direct mail appeals
- Develop and grow our relational fundraising strategy by engaging volunteers/donors in grassroots fundraising efforts through the Sanctuary Sustainer initiative
- Help to coordinate annual fundraising events and small donor cultivation events; oversee the creation of event-related fundraising materials
- Oversee donor correspondence calendar (updates, site visits, etc.)
- Work with Board committee and Executive Director to coordinate schedule, work plans, and financial goals for capital campaign
- Support further development and refinement of campaign fundraising materials, writing/editing text as needed
- Work with Executive Director to develop donor prospect lists and communications strategy for one-on-one donor cultivation, solicitation, and relationship-building
- Research and identify institutional, governmental, and corporate capital funding opportunities
- Develop language to communicate our mission, work, and impact to wide audiences
- Draft text for our website and collaborate to ensure content remains current
- Oversee strategy and content of promotional broadcast and social media production
- Develop written content for email and direct mail
- Oversee graphic design work as needed
This is a full-time position with a salary of $48,750 plus benefits. Position open immediately until filled; applications will be reviewed as received. Our target application deadline is August 1 with an August 15 start date.
How to apply: Submit a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, resume, three references and a grant writing sample. Email to [email protected] with the words “Development Director” in the subject line.
We actively seek applicants who reflect the diversity of our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and, as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider all applicants regardless of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation or national origin.