Collard City Growers Garden Ambassador
- •$100/week May-October ($2000 for the season)
- •5 hours/week at $20/hour, including 3:00-6:00 pm for open hours on Fridays
About the Position
Collard City Growers (CCG) at the Sanctuary for Independent Media seeks a garden ambassador and steward for the 2023 growing season! CCG is a food justice arts and permaculture project that has (literally) grown from a once abandoned lot on the Sanctuary Campus in North Troy (3337 6th Avenue).
We’re looking for a people-oriented, plant-loving garden steward who can work with our community science educator and dedicated garden volunteers to give CCG some weekly care and maintenance while helping welcome and orient garden visitors and volunteers who range from college students to local families. The garden steward should be interested in environmental and food justice, and must be available during our weekly open hours from 3:00-6:00 pm on Friday.
The position can be tailored to the interests and skills of the right person, but essential qualifications and tasks include:
- •Ability to work outdoors in a range of weather conditions in a dense city setting.
- •Willingness to do basic maintenance tasks with guidance from Sanctuary staff, including trimming vines weeding, mowing paths, moving mulch, collecting garbage, harvesting produce etc.
- •A welcoming and inclusive personality for engaging the public, from simple garden tours for drop in visitors to guiding volunteers in maintenance, planting and harvesting where appropriate.
- •Experience with or interest in learning about perennial food forestry and permaculture gardening.
Depending on skills and interests, other tasks may include:
- •Working with children and youth in the garden
- •Leading thematic workshops in the garden
- •Contributing to the effort to distribute and store food, save seeds, dry herbs, etc.
Most people know us as The Sanctuary for Independent Media in North Troy, NY; the official non-profit 501(c)3 is incorporated as Media Alliance. Our mission is to use art, science, and participatory action to promote social and environmental justice and freedom of creative expression.
Since 2005 we have been building an arts and environmental education campus in North Central Troy, NY. We operate indoor and outdoor presenting and production facilities with reduced physical activities for 2021 (The Sanctuary for Independent Media and Freedom Square), a radio station (WOOC 105.3 FM), community gardens (Collard City Growers), a STEM learning center (NATURE Lab) with community biology laboratory and People’s Health Sanctuary, internships and youth programs (Uptown Summer, Water Justice Lab and Youth Media Sanctuary). www.mediasanctuary.org
We actively seek to build a diverse team with a wide range of experiences, skills, and perspectives. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and, as an organization committed to inclusivity, we consider all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity or expression, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation or national origin.
How to apply: Submit a letter summarizing your experience and qualifications, how you learned of the position, and its relevance to your interests. Please also include three references with contact information. Email to [email protected] with “CCG” in the subject line.