Full time, $43,264 plus benefits
Most people know us as The Sanctuary for Independent Media in North Troy, NY; the official non-profit 501(c)3 is incorporated as Media Alliance. Our mission is to use art and participatory action to promote social and environmental justice and freedom of creative expression.
Since 2005 we have been building an arts and environmental education campus in North Central Troy, NY. We operate indoor and outdoor presenting and production facilities (The Sanctuary for Independent Media and Freedom Square), a radio station (WOOC 105.3 FM), community gardens (Collard City Growers), a STEM learning center (NATURE Lab), internships and youth programs (Uptown Summer and Youth Media Sanctuary). | www.mediasanctuary.org
About the Volunteer Organizer/Outreach Coordinator
This is a new, exciting and much needed position. The Volunteer Organizer/Outreach Coordinator will be joining a two-person paid staff, working alongside a hands-on board, numerous interns and volunteers. The successful candidate will be a self-starter able to produce high level work with limited oversight, prepared to create new processes and navigate new organizational territory.
This is a dynamic and organic environment–a magnet for passionate, creative and talented people each working in their own way to make the world a better place. The Volunteer Organizer/Outreach Coordinator should be someone who can adjust to evolving needs, able to pivot as they arise, and must be able to relate to and build positive relationships with a wide variety of people, including those of diverse races, income levels, ages, religions, ethnicities, belief systems, gender identities and more.
- Support for our mission and an understanding of grassroots nonprofits in general
- Ability to communicate with and relate to a wide range of people
- Dependable and punctual with excellent follow-through, without need for oversight
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal and nonverbal)
- Computer skills including social media platforms, Microsoft Office suite, Slack, Google Apps (especially Docs and Calendar). WordPress and Salesforce proficiency is a plus.
- Collaboration and team building skills, including maintaining a “safer space” for all
The role of the Volunteer Organizer/Outreach Coordinator is to bottom-line all volunteer management, building a foundation for expanded productivity and involvement. This includes volunteers and interns participating in basic daily activities and in a wide variety of initiatives:
- Events and workshops
- WOOC radio
- NATURE Lab
- Uptown Summer / Youth Media Sanctuary
- Collard City Growers
- Friends of Freedom Square
- Sanctuary TV
- Kitchen Sanctuary
Position Functions, Roles and Responsibilities
- Recruit, train, coordinate, and retain volunteers and interns
- Maintain the volunteer database (we use Salesforce)
- Support organization of events, workshops and public presentations
- Coordinate all aspects of community outreach
- Supervise social media
EOE/AA DIVERSE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
We encourage applicants who are Black, Brown, Indigenous, Immigrant, Disabled, Poor/Working Class, Gender Non-Conforming, Women and Femme Trojans. If this is you, know that your contributions and leadership are especially valuable at Media Alliance.
Media Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, ethnicity, national origin, immigration status, sexual orientation, religion, HIV serostatus, disability, height, weight, veteran status, marital status, political affiliation or national origin.
Please email your resume and a cover letter detailing the reasons why you are an excellent fit, including 2-3 references who can speak to your abilities, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application as soon as possible; candidate review will begin immediately upon receipt. The position is open until 5/30/2019 or until filled.