$3000 honorarium (30 hours/week x 7 weeks)
About the Position
The Youth Coordinator will supervise 8-12 youth in the Uptown Summer ‘19 program, a collaboration between The Sanctuary for Independent Media and the Rensselaer County Summer Youth Employment Program. Uptown Summer ‘19 runs from July 8 – August 8, Monday – Thursday 1:00 – 8:30 pm (plus eight additional days for preparation and wrap-up).
Uptown Summer ‘19 offers an exciting creative convergence around the theme of environmental stewardship, including urban gardening, science workshops, and media production with environmental justice messages. Uptown Summer youth will also support event production of “Spirit of the Suffragettes,” an 8-week event series celebrating the history of these radical historical activists through an updated and more racially/economically inclusive lens. Each event will feature a community resource fair uplifting women in our own community and showcasing female musicians in Freedom Square.
- Experience and passion working with teenagers from low-income families
- Dependable and punctual with excellent follow-through minimal oversight
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal and nonverbal)
- Collaboration and team building skills
- Interest and/or expertise in art, science and media
- Support for our mission and an understanding of grassroots nonprofits
- Experience utilizing a trauma-informed approach to maintain a “safer space”
The role of the Uptown Summer Youth Coordinator is to bottomline all youth participation in basic daily activities. Tasks include:
- Weekly individual and group check-in meetings and written progress reports
- Coordinate daily schedule
- Daily setup and breakdown
- Supervise youth participation, including urban gardening, environmental workshops, media production, Kitchen Sanctuary meals and Spirit of Suffragettes events
- Coordinate communication between youth, Sanctuary staff and interns
- Offer mentorship, support and conflict resolution
- Support a safe space, filled with creativity, trust and trauma recovery
- Maintain a professional workspace and process
- Manage and maintain Uptown Summer contact lists, update to Sanctuary database and write follow up thank-you emails
- Build and nurture relationships with youth, Sanctuary team and community
Check out these videos of past Uptown Summers for a sense of the creativity and exploration we share together:
Most people know us as The Sanctuary for Independent Media in North Troy, NY; the official non-profit 501(c)3 is incorporated as Media Alliance. Our mission is to use art and participatory action to promote social and environmental justice and freedom of creative expression.Since 2005 we have been building an arts and environmental education campus in North Central Troy, NY. We operate indoor and outdoor presenting and production facilities (The Sanctuary for Independent Media and Freedom Square), a radio station (WOOC 105.3 FM), community gardens (Collard City Growers), a STEM learning center (NATURE Lab), internships and youth programs (Uptown Summer and Youth Media Sanctuary). www.mediasanctuary.org
This paid summer job will assist The Sanctuary for Independent Media with their Uptown Summer program, engaging local youth to connect with networks of artists and scientists, media makers and gardeners, community organizers and neighbors in collective actions stimulating environmental justice and sustainability.
EOE/AA DIVERSE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
We actively seek applicants who reflect the diversity of our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and, as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider all applicants regardless of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation or national origin.
How to apply: Submit a resume, three references and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, how you learned of it, and its relevance to your interests. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Youth Coordinator Job” in the subject line.