TEMPORARY JOB OPENING Half-time position through September 2019
About the position
This position is to organize and coordinate the Spirit of the Suffragettes Summer Festival. The Coordinator will be responsible for scheduling activities, supervising volunteers, outreach to organizations, and supporting diverse interrelated initiatives as part of the Sanctuary’s coordinated team.
Spirit of the Suffragettes is an eight part summer event series to be held in North Troy NY outdoors at Freedom Square. It will include free concerts, free arts activities, free food and, especially, the Women’s Resource Fair.
Events will take place from 3-6 PM on Saturday June 8 as well as from 5-8 PM every Tuesday from July 16th to August 20th, and from 3-6 PM on Saturday September 21.
This position requires a flexible work schedule, including some evenings and weekends, and ends with completion of the project in September.
Funded in part by a grant from the New York State Regional Economic Development Council, the Spirit of the Suffragettes Summer Festival Coordinator will be paid $350 for a 20 hour work week.
For more information about Spirit of the Suffragettes:
Most people know us as The Sanctuary for Independent Media; the official non-profit 501(c)3 is incorporated as Media Alliance. Our mission is to use art and participatory action to promote social and environmental justice and freedom of creative expression.
Since 2005 we have been building an arts and environmental education campus in North Central Troy, NY. We operate indoor and outdoor presenting and production facilities (The Sanctuary for Independent Media and Freedom Square), a radio station (WOOC 105.3 FM), community gardens (Collard City Growers), a STEM learning center (NATURE Lab), internships and youth programs (Uptown Summer and Youth Media Sanctuary). For more information: www.mediasanctuary.org
This position would be ideal for someone with the following skills:
- Experience in event organizing and community engagement
- Experience managing volunteers
- Experience and dedication to building womens’ resources
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Dependable and punctual with excellent follow-through with minimal oversight
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal and nonverbal)
- Strong computer skills including social media platforms, Microsoft Office suite, Slack, Google Apps (especially Docs and Calendar). WordPress and Salesforce proficiency is a plus.
- Collaboration and team building skills, maintaining a “safer space” for all
- Ability to dialogue and interact with, and relate to, a wide range of people
- Support for our mission and an understanding of grassroots nonprofits in general
Position Functions, Roles and Responsibilities
- Contact/confirm/coordinate Women’s Resource Tables, food and activities
- Maintain databases
- Support scheduling of volunteers and activities
- Supervise participating volunteers and organizations
- Coordinate all aspects of community outreach and connecting Sanctuary initiatives
- Supervise social media for Spirit of the Suffragettes
- Supervise set up, event and break down for each of eight days
- Help with general support of Sanctuary daily tasks and initiatives
EOE/AA DIVERSE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
We encourage applicants who are Women and Femme Trojans, Gender Non-Conforming, Black, Brown, Indigenous, Immigrant, Disabled, Poor/Working Class. If this is you, know that your contributions and leadership are especially valuable at Media Alliance. Media Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, ethnicity, national origin, immigration status, sexual orientation, religion, HIV serostatus, disability, height, weight, veteran status, marital status, political affiliation or national origin.
Please email your resume and a cover letter detailing the reasons why you are an excellent fit, including 2-3 references who can speak to your abilities, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit applications as soon as possible; candidate review will begin immediately upon receipt. Position is open until filled.