Start Date: Immediately
Role Type: Full-Time
Location: Troy, NY
Reports To: Board of Directors
Compensation: $65,000-72,000 plus benefit contribution & sick/vacation time
Who We Are
The Sanctuary for Independent Media (legally known as Media Alliance) is one of the New York State Capital Region’s most diverse and diversified activist organizations, an integral part of the struggle for social and environmental justice and freedom of creative expression. Our headquarters, The Sanctuary for Independent Media, is based in a former North Central Troy church–part of an ambitious community development initiative that includes indoor and outdoor presenting and production spaces, multiple gardens, a science and environmental center, and artist residences. This urban campus serves as a hub for creative organizing and action, hosting activities ranging from screenings, talks, performances and workshops to youth programming, public art projects, student internships, and more. We also have expansive media production and broadcasting facilities–including radio station WOOC 105.3FM–with a local focus and worldwide reach. Our vibrant community is built on foundations provided by generations of artists and activists representing a rich radical tradition.
We use art, science and participatory action to promote social and environmental justice and freedom of creative expression.
Who You Are
The ideal candidate for this exciting role is someone who is an influential leader, community builder and true collaborator. If you are someone who is passionate about art and science and believe it is a pathway to social and environmental justice, then we are the place for you!
The right candidate will seek to advance the organization’s mission by increasing the diverse multi-generational community it serves and building a fiscally sustainable future. This individual will provide leadership to successfully shape and execute the strategic direction and social justice objectives of the organization, with equity at the forefront.
The successful candidate will ensure the organization’s commitment to continue our service to the North Troy community as well as the larger community of activism and advocacy. This person will do this by building relationships centered in trust, responsibility, and accountability with staff and all stakeholders.
- Leadership: Lead the organization’s strategic direction to carry out the mission, vision, and values by inciting change and promoting growth; engage, motivate and manage an accomplished, dedicated and collaborative small paid staff, committees of volunteers, and collaborate with Board of Directors;
- Finance and Administration: Oversee the budget development and property management. Ensure a long-range financial plan is in place with the appropriate financial checks and balances to promote fiscal sustainability;
- Fundraising: Build a plan to significantly enhance a stronger more diversified base of support and manage existing grants;
- Program Development: Manage the goal setting and implementation of programs and initiatives, determine where and when growth opportunities can be realized;
- Outreach & Community Engagement: Elevate the organization’s presence in the community by serving as the public voice in developing our base of supporters and partners;
- Board Relations: Collaborate with the Board to diversify and expand its members to ensure its active involvement and support for organizational growth. Partner with the Board to set strategy, model the vision, mission and values of the organization.
We are seeking someone with a good mix of many of these qualifications. We encourage applications from Black, LatinX, Indigenous and other People of Color, LGBTQ, women and other underrepresented groups.
- Proven track record of success in cultivating and managing relationships with various stakeholders, including but not limited to: a Board of Directors, staff, volunteers, donors, contractors, partners/allies and community members;
- Strong project management skills, especially as it relates to the full-cycle grants management, with experience initiating and overseeing multi-phase projects to completion in a collaborative and streamlined way;
- Experience in managing a budget, working in concert with a Board of Directors;
- 3+ years of experience in leading fundraising activities to support growth by sourcing, attracting, and retaining individual, corporate, private, and government funders;
- 5+ years in a management or leadership role within a community-based arts, radio, science, environmental, advocacy or activist organizations;
- Creative and strategic problem-solving skills, including flexibility in ever-changing and growing environments;
- Quantifiable success in building and sustaining alliances and support;
- Volunteer management experience whereby fostering relationships and recognizing contributions were at the forefront of success;
- Familiarity and comfort with learning technical tools, including GSuite, SalesForce, Quickbooks, and Zoom;
- Grace under pressure and a sense of humor;
- Bachelor’s degree, strongly preferred.
Hopefully after reading the job description you have a solid idea of the spirit of this role. If you feel in your bones you are the right person for this job, we welcome you to apply, even if you do not meet every qualification.
To apply, kindly click this link:https://apply.workable.com/executive-excellence-1/j/E6FCFF023F/. Please include a cover letter describing why you are passionate about our mission and discuss your skills and experience related to our work within this sector. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
The Sanctuary for Independent Media., an equal opportunity employer, is committed to diversity in the workplace and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s race, creed (religion), color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender expression), or sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait, disability (including AIDS and HIV infection), predisposing genetic characteristic, military status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally protected status. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and need.